It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 9:46 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Click if you would like to show your support for the Planet of Speed Bulletin Board and the POS archive.

Post subject: Gravity Insights 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:05 pm 

Welcome I would to offer a continuance of what we started on POS.net. The old body of posts is still out ther for those of you who like to reference it, thank you Tony.

I hope we all can continue an exciting active exchange in this growing class of Gravity racing.

There was a March 25, 2017 race at LenJet raceway for the Gravity cars. Below is a picture of the top four cars

John Reimels car on the far left was the winner. With Rob Hays coming in second (next to him on the left).

Here are some insights on John's part on the sucess of the angle winder. "For me, the big advantage of an anglewinder is that it can accommodate wider rear tires. Rob Hayes purchased a Scott Terry car 6 months ago and he's really spent a lot of time tuning it. According to him, getting the pickups to sit flat against the track rails and adding wide rear tires were the biggest performance enhancers. He finished second with the car"

John will going to the Midwest Championships where I look forward to some great gravity racing conversations.

Joel

Post subject: Re: Gravity Insights 2.0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:16 pm 

Thanks, Joel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:47 am 

Great stuff Joel! Keep the info coming.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:15 pm 

This is my first effort at a center hinge car. Inspired by Al Thurman and Scott Terry's sucessful cars, I looked to this as a alternative car to the z rail design. Early testing is good. I will keep you posted on its development.

Joel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:20 pm 

Two more pictures. The Green Bay Packer colors are the secret to racing at Lucky Bob's.

Joel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:31 pm 

Nice!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:51 am 

Cleaning of tracks for Gravity

I recently had an email exchange with John Reimels that was quite validating that I wanted to share:

John writes
However, we DID have a problem in the race (not rag related). We had a good 90 minutes of practice, it seemed to be working well, the cars were more or less "hooked up" through out practice. At the end of practice, entered the names in the computer, and started the race - at most, 10 - 12 minutes elapsed between the end of practice and the start of the race. The cars were almost undriveable. After two laps, the cars were spinning out and tailfishing down the straight. We should have stopped the race, cleaned the track and started it over but we did not (big mistake). It took at least two heats for the cars to start behaving like they did in practice. I was really surprised to see how quick the track went to hell. The track is located in a basement but the area was well cleaned, the track was completely vacuumed and I believe Rob said he had vacuumed the floor beforehand (not positive).

At the end of the day, we had some extra time so we decided to have another Gravity race. This time we thoroughly wiped down the track before the start of the race and things were much better. I guess I was taken aback by how much the track deteriorated in such a short period of time. Have you guys experienced that?

Joel wrote
Your experience, is ours with tracks going bad quickly. It does not happen every time and that is what can lull you into a false since of confidence that can bite you. We therefore take the same same level of rigor for cleaning all the time. I receive some ridicule for this, but it is from those who have no experience with this and do not realize what level of decrement this is to the race program. Maybe with more experience we will be able to determine likely conditions. In the mean time the problem is real and the solution known.

John wrote
Yeah, we got lazy... At Ryan Archambault's race in January, everything was fine. At Peter's in February, we stayed on top of things wiping down the track but that was in a machine shop environment so we expected that. What caught us off guard was the real quick deterioration from the end of practice and the start of the race. LESSON LEARNED! We will ALWAYS wipe down the track thoroughly before starting a race and between heats if we're not running a round robin race.

Small world eh!

Joel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:44 pm 

Why a hinge car? Why a z rail? Both have more torsion flex which equals more mechanical traction. Pictured are my three z rails from 2012, 2014, 2016. All have raced sucessfully with wins. As you see there are variations to the builds with each having their own personality.

As good as they are they do not hold my single lap or total lap record. Nor do they hold the most number of wins, that is held by a more conventional designed car. BUT, there are days these are best choice!

Joel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:44 pm 

Two beautifully built center hinged angle winders by John Reimels. And yes they run as good as they look!

Joel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:14 pm 

Below is a picture of this year's top four in the gravity class. From left to right are Jim Keen 1st 183 laps, Brian Fleschman 2nd 175 laps, John Riemels 3rd 174 laps, and Joel Pennington 4th 169 laps. As you see four different car types! Several of these cars have been covered in previous posts. If you would like a specific tech please advise me.

Thanks
Joel