It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:18 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Click if you would like to show your support for the Planet of Speed Bulletin Board and the POS archive.

Post subject: Re: Gravity Insights 2.0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:28 am 

wow, very interesting.

I wonder if the weight distribution of the AFX being more centered was what help it vs the motor sitting on the rear of the car?

Just curious?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:42 pm 

First note of the top 20 finishers that AFX finished 1st, 6th, 14th, and 16th. If weight distribution of the AFX made for a superior car, we should have seen a collective higher finish.

All four top AFX cars had four additional grams of magnet down force per the scale in tech. None of the non-AFX cars had any additional magnet down force. Clearly this additional magnet down force was not able to make the AFX superior.

Three of the top four AFX's were the lowered design, our current most advanced design, with a lower center of gravity. While this feature greatly advanced the AFX gravity car performance, it did not make up the gap at this race.

If you look at the first place car from this year, it was built and set up by me. This is the same car that won the 2016 NATS and the 2017 Midwest championship; in each case setting lap records. What makes this car work is the total package and outstanding drives by Scott Terry/ Jim Keen. No doubt this car is the most difficult and arduous gravity car I have built. It has under went three rebuilds since the 2016 NATS, each one improving its performance.

I will outline the tech specifics on the top four cars when I get back from vacation. Thanks for asking.

Joel

Sent from my iPhone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:26 am 

Thanks for the reply!
Yes drivers often make a big difference. I did not know there was added DF on the cars. was it running poly or neo mags and a hot wind for speed?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:46 pm 

As noted the AFX can have four to five grams of magnet down force and be pin legal with the current pin. The other style cars do not have this magnet down force. Does the below "legal" AFX car look like a gravity or magnet car?

The liberal pin we use currently for tech allows this, not the magnet type. The pictured results can be achieved with ceramic or polymer magnets. Both types of magnets must be carrifully placed in an AFX or they will fail the pin test. The advantage of the polymer magnet is it can be made one gram lighter.

I created the pin and test procedure we use in November 2010. It has proven to be simple, cheap, and reliable tech standard. I over reach at the time and feel we need to transition to a lighter pin to keep the class truly a gravity only downforce class. Some simple additional shielding corrects the AFX to a non-magnet condition, not requiring a new build.

Joel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:28 pm 

thanks,

I know back in the day, we used a pin as well.
problem was it became magnetized over time changing the hold needed to keep on the car if the pi is not degaussed.